Websites

Developing a content strategy for your website means thinking through what you have to say and what you want visitors to do. A website with strategic content doesn’t display information for visitors to read and forget. It encourages them to stay a while longer, click a link to a page deeper in the site and take action – whatever action you intended for them to take.

Strategic website content reflects what you want to say today and considers what you might want to say tomorrow. For example, you might have 75% of your content finalized and a deadline to launch the website before the remaining 25% can be approved. The first 75% should be written so it makes sense standing on its own and so the remainder can easily be added post-launch.

A website strategy has a built-in plan for long-term content management. Six months after a website goes live, if a change is needed, the right people know how to make it. Whether it is a small business owner knowing how to use the content management system himself or a collection of corporate teams having a protocol in place, there is a plan.

Strategic website content includes search engine optimization best practices and usability trends. You want people to find your website. Once they are there, you want their user experience to be as intuitive as possible.

Whether you are immersed in social media now or might try it someday, your website content, if it’s strategic, will complement what you’ll post on your blog, your Facebook Page and/or Twitter account.