Whether you are building a website, starting a blog, creating a Facebook Page or jumping on Twitter, you should have a strategy for reaching your target audience, sharing the information that they want and measuring your success.
- Content is king and context is queen.
- People do not read websites. They scan them. Be sure that your content is “written for the web.” (See Writing for the Web.)
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is important, but websites should be written for people first and search engines second. You do not have to spend a fortune on SEO, but you should be sure that basic SEO tactics are being applied during the development of your site.
- Social media is dramatically changing the way we find and consume content on the web. If you want to be found easily, you need to have a strategic, active presence on Facebook and Twitter.
- Website owners should know how to access and understand their web analytics (e.g., number of visits, average visit time, location of site visitors, etc.).